Important Headlice treatment Information - please read

HEAD LICE ERADICATION PRODUCTS: RISK OF SERIOUS BURNS IF TREATED HAIR IS EXPOSED TO OPEN FLAMES OR OTHER SOURCES OF IGNITION

Some products for the eradication of head lice infestations are combustible/flammable when on the hair and can ignite and cause serious harm in the presence of an open flame or other source of ignition such as when lighting cigarettes

Eight cases of serious burns associated with Hedrin 4% cutaneous solution have been reported to the MHRA since the product was licensed in 2005. Following the first reported case in 2007, warnings about risk of fires were added to the pack and patient information leaflet for Hedrin 4% cutaneous solution. Four cases were associated with a cigarette lighter or lighting of a cigarette, one with a lit cigarette, one with a candle, and 2 with adjusting a gas fire.

There have been 2 further serious burns cases associated with other products. In 2006 a woman suffered serious burns when smoking during treatment. In 2017 another incident occurred when a child undergoing treatment came into contact with a naked flame, resulting in very serious burns.

Advise parents, caregivers and the person with head lice if appropriate, that they should not smoke around treated hair and that it should be kept away from open flames or other sources of ignition, including in the morning after overnight application until hair is washed

Always advise parents and caregivers and the person with head lice to read the instructions that come with treatments to ensure that they are used safely and correctly

Address

Edleston Primary School

Denver Ave, Crewe, CW2 7PX

Head Teacher: Mrs. Bagni

Telephone: 01270 685770

Email

admin@edleston.cheshire.sch.uk